From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In Sic et Non, Abelard presents 158 questions that present a theological assertion and allows its negation.
The first five questions are:
- Must human faith be completed by reason, or not?
- Does faith deal only with unseen things, or not?
- Is there any knowledge of things unseen, or not?
- May one believe only in God alone, or not?
- Is God a single unitary being, or not?
Recensions and dating of the Sic et nonThere are eleven surviving full and partial manuscripts of the Sic et non. These are:
- Zürich, Zentralbibliothek, Car. C. 162, fols. 23–38v (siglum Z)
- Tours, Bibliothèque Municipale, 85, fols. 106rb–118v (siglum T)
- Montecassino, Archivio dell'Abbadia, 174, pp. 277–451 (siglum C)
- Einsiedeln, Stiftsbibliothek, 300, pp. 1–74 (siglum E)
- Brescia, Biblioteca Quiriniana, A.V. 21, fols. 14–64v (siglum B)
- Douai, Bibliothèque Municipale, 357, fols. 140–155v (siglum D)
- London, British Museum, Royal 11 A v, fols. 73–98v (siglum L)
- München, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, Clm. 18926, fols. 14v–105v (siglum M)
- Cambridge, University Library, Kk 3.24, fols. 67v–159 (siglum K)
- Avranches, Bibliothèque Municipale, 12, fols. 132–07 (siglum A)
- Cambridge, Corpus Christi College, 165, pp. 1–355 (siglum k)
- Turin, Biblioteca Nazionale, MS E. v. 9 (749) (siglum S).
- Z is the earliest known recension of the Sic et non, which, according to Constant Mews, dates to 1121. Parallels between Z and Abelard's other works from this period show that Z is not an abbreviation of the TCEBS recension of the Sic et non, as Boyer and McKeon believed.
- TCEB and S belong to the next earliest recension of the Sic et non, which dates to 1121–1126.
- DL belong to an intermediate recension of the Sic et non, which likewise dates to the period 1121–1126.
- MKAk belong to the latest recension of the Sic et non, which dates to the period 1127–1132.
- Peter Abelard. Sic et non. Full Latin text provided by Peter King.
- Peter Abelard. Sic et non: A Critical Edition. Ed. Blanche B. Boyer and Richard McKeon. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1976.
- Throop, Priscilla, trans., YES AND NO: Peter Abelard's SIC ET NON, Charlotte, VT: MedievalMS, 2007.
- Barrow, Julia. "Tractatus magistri Petri Abaielardi de sacramento altaris." Traditio 40 (1985): 328–36.
- Buytaert, E. M. General introduction to Petri Abaelardi opera theologica. CCCM 11. Turnhout 1969. p. xiii.
- Mews, Constant. General introduction to Petri Abaelardi opera theologica. CCCM 13. Turnhout 1987. p. 21 and p. 51.